In general, the following advice can help reduce the risk of infection or spreading infection to others:
- wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
- stay home if you are sick
- when coughing or sneezing:
- cover your mouth and nose with your arm or tissues to reduce the spread of germs
- immediately dispose of any tissues you have used into the garbage as soon as possible and wash your hands afterwards
- avoid visiting people in hospitals or long-term care centres if you are sick
People travelling to the province of Hubei, China, or Iran should take precautions.
Health care or humanitarian workers caring for patients with suspected or confirmed coronavirus should use standard infection prevention and control precautions. This includes wearing appropriate personal protective equipment.